Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The $0.11 gripe




Today was a fairly uneventful change finding day. Our morning journey through the park yielded 2 pennies. A quick scoop at the bus stop gave us another two pennies. The real change didn't come until the evening when a few errands gave us a whopping 39 cents- a most unusual streak of finds though. Here's the story.

As we walked out onto the parking lot of our local supermarket, we found $0.11- a dime and a penny right next to it. I picked it up and put it in our coin purse. A quick hop to the bank after hours yielded the same exact find- a dime and a penny- almost in the same position as the one at the store. Our last stop- CVS- yielded yet another combo of $0.11 in the same form.

"It's like they're in love" my oldest daughter piped as I bent over to collect the change.
I thought it was a cute reference- a silvery dime and a dirty penny- like a pair of star-crossed lovers. My husband (who fails to see the humor in anything that isn't Carlos Mencia material) shrugged and walked over to the local Dunkin' Donuts (no drive thru though) for a quick java fix. My daughters proceeded to tell me a tale similar to sleeping beauty- each adding in cute references to the triple coin combo find that occured moments ago. I'm glad their imaginations are perking up. Nothing like some fantasy during these cold bloody times of war and turmoil.

Hubby walked out of DD smiling. Apparently he found himself a nickel and a penny this time around. He proceeded to tell me all about this find and how tough it was to lay claim since the cashiers were trying to mop up the floor. I just love this man's Indiana Jones type coin finding stories!!

I remember hearing a long time ago that when you find 11 cents in this form it's like the deceased are trying to establish their presence to the living. Perhaps it's mere legend? If it's not, I'd like to call up a dozen or so of these folks on a regular basis hehehe.

*********************************
Here's an email from the fine folks I received over at Found on the ground the other day.

Hi there,

Thanks for mentioning Found on the Ground the other day!

I've been enjoying your blog, and I hope you don't mind that I mentioned you back.:)

I can't believe you've found that much money
in only one year. You've inspired me to light a fire under my efforts to count
how much money I find and donate it at the end of the year. I find a lot of
money on the ground, almost every day, but I don't always keep track of it- you
know how pennies so easily hide in a pocket until it's time to pay for the
Starbucks latte...

Happy finding!

-Erin

In case you missed my posting of the Found on the ground link, you can click here or check out my favorite blog section on the left for another link.

Now it's off for some pizza and quality time with my three most favorite people in the whole wide world. As a matter of fact, do me a favor. Get up and walk over to your nearest loved one and give them a hug- i'm sure they need it as much as you do :)

Total found today : $0.43
Total since 10/06: $2.35

No comments: